Saturday, November 25, 2017

Character Chat: Jonah

Hello everyone!

I want to do little things about my doll's characters, and I'm aiming to do them around once a month. I'm most excited to do one about my character Gil, but I also figured I should start with a character I actually have at least partially shelled, so I'm doing Jonah's character chat today! Fair warning, I'm really bad at staying on track when I get going, so this is a bit ramble-y and all over the place.

My dolls' universe has four kingdoms, each associated with one of the four elements. Jonah is the prince of earth, and the middle of three children. His older sibling is his sister, Hannah, and his young sibling is his brother, Lawrence, who was initially the crown prince. Jonah is trans, because who would I be if the first male character I shelled wasn't trans, and came out when he was around fifteen. This isn't an issue for the Earth Kingdom, who embraced their new crown prince with open arms. It's a job he was somewhat under-prepared for, but he's been learning quickly, and he's pleased with himself and how far he's come.

In general, Jonah's a pretty happy, confident guy. His family is supportive, including the brother he replaced as crown prince. Lawrence strikes me as infinitely more anxious than Jonah, so there wasn't really that same drive to be king someday, and there was definitely a sense of relief when Jonah became the crown prince. He'll be ready to be king when the time comes, Lawrence wouldn't have been.

I've also been getting hints of a romantic relationship between Jonah and Gil, the prince of air. I tend to categorically refuse to make straight characters, and once I actually had Jonah's head, I started to get the immediate "Okay, your other dolls have friends and significant others, I want a boyfriend" from him. I didn't have one planned for him initially, but as I got a little deeper into his character and he decided he wanted to be 110% Prince Charming, Gil started to pop up a bit and say he might be interested. And now that I have a potential sculpt for Gil in mind for 2018, that's starting to potentially be quite feasible. Jonah's definitely a sweet charmer, and I think Gil's definitely a guy who can appreciate being romanced. I have hints of story for them, and honestly even I'm excited to see how that's going to develop.

Jonah's also very dapper. I've been working on developing his fashion sense, and I know he definitely loves suits and ties, and his definition of 'dressed down' is still pretty fancy. His color palette takes cues from mori kei, with browns and off-whites, along with greens, being the majority of his wardrobe. I'm leaning towards mori-inspired fabric choices as well, I'll be needing lots of white and off-white lace to make his clothes. He's taller than most of my squad-- he'll be my tallest MSD when his body gets here, and should come out about 5 centimeters taller than my girls-- and I'm hoping to be able to accentuate that with his clothing choices.

So yeah, tldr, Jonah's the happy and confident prince of earth, he's at the very least crushed on by the prince of air, and he's definitely a pretty stable character within the story I have going for my dolls. He's defined much less by who he is on his own than by who he is with others, and I'm excited to write about him going forward!

Until next time!

Theo

No comments:

Post a Comment