Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Wol! (Box Opening/Review)

Hello!

Back in July, the preorders went up for a round of professionally casted SeedArts Wol heads. I'm slowly becoming a junkie for faces with odd features-- especially noses and ears-- so she went straight onto my "oooooh, yes, that one. Soon" list (as opposed to my "ugh, someday" and "maybe?" lists). I was away and without internet for most of the preorder, which wound up being sort of a good thing, because it prevented me from potentially impulse buying. I did wind up purchasing her, but I'm still glad I waited.

Wol is a female sculpt, but the character I'm shelling is male, so I'll be referring to the head with he/him/his pronouns from here!

The original Etsy listing said the heads would most likely be shipped out in October, but unfortunately they did wind up being later than this. I received my shipping notice on November 6th, and my head arrived the 8th. This is by no means the fault of SeedArts-- she wrote that the expected working time was 4-6 weeks, and notified buyers when she received the shipping notice from Haru on October 23rd. The heads shipped extremely quickly once they reached her, and mine only took two days to arrive.


I cannot explain how hard it was to wait until I had time to shoot video and take photos to rip into this box


Pictured: sooooooo much bubble wrap


Without futher ado...

Full disclosure: my original thought was to do this as a video, so crappy still is the best we're getting here

The head came wrapped in a little plastic bag to protect it in transit, which I appreciated. It also came with this gorgeous little neck donut, which SeedArts later told me on instagram is to help keep the body on the neck.

It's so pretty that I thought it was just like. A cute little desk thing

I popped the head out of the bag and snapped a couple pictures:



I had a weird moment of "Hey, does this match ResinSoul dark tan?" It super doesn't, and I don't own their light tan to see if it matches that any better. Here's the comparison shot:

I am. Real bad at color guessing

Speaking of color comparisons, let's check out the original photo of the resin colors vs. the color of the head I got:

Source: armeleia's etsy

These were the three colors available, officially called tan, peach, and off-white. I ordered tan, which was said to be similar to DollZone tan. Honestly, I didn't check what DollZone tan is ahead of time, but I assumed that the tan in the photo would be the tan I got. As you can see, it's considerably lighter. But let's take a look at DollZone tan.

Source: Dollzone

That looks a lot closer! It still looks a little dark to me, and I'll admit it, I am a bit nervous about resin match with his body, but we'll have to wait and see. I'm getting him a Dollzone B45-018 through DDE, so we'll see what that turns up. Based on what I've heard recently, it'll probably be heading my way in February or March.

Excuse me while I die.

The resin is absolutely lovely, as you'd expect from a caster as well-loved as Haru, but of course there is one more but.

The way the faceplate fits.

The gap tho

There's some pretty noticeable gapping along the jaw and the bottom of the head. I'm hoping this will be reduced once he's on his body, or else that the neck donut will be of use. I can't currently check, as the S hooks in my girls' heads are too big to fit in his head, but we'll see in the spring. I haven't had a doll with a faceplate before, just headcaps, so if this is normal let me know.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the head! I think he'll be perfect for Jonah, the character I'm shelling, and he's super cute with the eyes he stole. They're not for him, but he can certainly keep them for now.

I'll leave you with some last photos, until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment