Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Chubby BJDs?

Hey everyone!

I feel like I open posts with "full disclosure" a lot, but full disclosure, I was going to have the title of this post be "Summerbird Viola" but I'm hoping to save that entry title for getting one.

Hopefully. 

Someday.

But I do want to talk about something I find a little frustrating in the hobby-- lack of body diversity! The main place we tend to see anything even close to it is female busts and in level of muscle on male bodies, but what I want is fat bodies. I want to see chubby bodies, in all sizes, from the little 12-17 cm tinies all the way up to 70+ cm behemoths. And I'm not talking about the Big Baby/Holiday's Child size-- they're cute, but they're proportioned like young children, not like typical MSDs. I'm talking about dolls who are typical for their scale but aren't your typical "slim and pretty" or "absolutely r i p p e d" but instead are on the chubby side!

For tinies, I know DollChateau has the "Sleepy Body" aka B-10, which I couldn't find on their site but DDE lists as its own option. It is the body their Sleepy is on, so if you've got a hunger for a tiny with a cute little tummy and are looking for something to hybrid onto, maybe that's a place to go!

YoSDs tend to have the most possibilities for chubby little bodies. My personal theory is that it's because they tend to be styled as children, so it's more socially acceptable for them to have some baby fat. They're also bigger than tinies, which leaves more room to make them chubby, especially in their arms and legs. I've seen several cute, chubby YoSD bodies, and honestly I love all of them.

I actually have yet to see a genuinely fat SD. I have, however, seen people use the terrifying delightful pregnant Angel of Dream as an SD with a little belly. I've seen people sand the bust flat to shell male characters. I definitely wouldn't call her a fat SD by any stretch of the imagination, but I suppose she's a start?

Fun fact: I tried to upload the very cursed image of the AoD pregnant doll and couldn't. There were "problems uploading the image." If you haven't already seen it, you can check it out for yourself here.

Alright, and now the doll I'm really here to talk about, the gorgeous Summerbird Viola. Like a lot of people, I missed the first preorder for her. I was in the land without internet at my summer camp job, plus she sold out in two hours. She's 40 centimeters of pleasant plumpness, and Summerbird even provided a sizing guide for finding clothes for her, as she tends to fit better into cropped SD clothes, or looser MSD clothes. I'm hoping to get one in the next preorder-- which, according to the Summerbird FAQ, should be in the first few months of 2018, shortly after the first preorder's dolls go out. I'm really excited to start seeing owner pics of her, as well as to potentially get my mitts on one of my own.

LOOK AT HER

And, perhaps more relevantly, the success she's been met with so far delights and excites me. I'm hopeful that her success will lead to more body diversity in the hobby, and I am especially hoping to see more fat dolls in the future.

Can you think of fat dolls I missed? Do you have a particular body type you'd like to see more of in the future? Tell me all about it in the comments!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment